CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Time is money...


Anyone who knows the fees that individuals pay to learn and study at a university like Rhodes University would cringe at the thought of wasting a lecture sitting in silence in the General Lecture Theatre (GLT). Yet, this is exactly what the Anthropology 1 students have been experiencing of late. Time is money and money has been wasted by impromptu therapy sessions and lack of work. With two weeks to exams, this has many students worried whether or not they will be equipped to pass with so many lessons wasted.

This term, many Anthropology 1 students were alarmed to find that their new lecturer had rather alternative methods of teaching. These alternative teaching methods have included, 20 minute breathing exercises, getting to know the person sitting next to you intimately for a whole lecture and sitting in silence to get in touch with your feelings. While some students may see this as an opportunity to focus in between other lectures, I personally feel that it is a complete waste of my time. I study Anthropology 1 for a reason and that reason does not include collecting my thoughts on life together in a designated lecture period.

I understand that every lecturer develops his or her own special relationship with the students; however, I feel that this particular lecturer has crossed the lecturer-student barrier and tried too hard to be a friend. Sometimes, I just want to sit and learn about the subject I pay to study and this has been rather difficult because I always seem to have to toss up in my mind whether or not to brave the lecture. Perhaps it would be better if these group therapy sessions were given specific days and those who want to attend can and those who have a lot on their plate and go and do something more productive.

The number of students leaving mid-lecture has become progressively noticeable and even I have snuck out the back when I have a chance. The thought of a pile of work sitting untouched in my room while I sit in silence in the GLT just eats away at me. These students who leave are only to be embarrassed in front of the class and told that they are afraid of getting in touch with their feelings. I disagree, I feel that these students are just fed up.

The class attendance in these lectures has been steadily decreasing as students would rather miss a lecture than possibly learn nothing in one. Rhodes has an Anthropology 1 class that almost fills up Eden Grove Red during tests and on average, barely scrapes 30 people in lectures. This clearly shows the fact that the students are not compelled to learn about strangers or learn to breathe, but would rather learn about the Congo as the syllabus entails.

What I am most concerned about is the fact that the notes are not on RUconnected. Therefore, there are some lectures where information from the syllabus is mentioned and students are not present for “fear of learning about their feelings”. These students are not getting the experience that they paid for at Rhodes University and are missing out on valuable information that could arise in the ever approaching exams.
Therefore, I feel that since we pay for the subject, we should learn the subject and if we want therapy, we should pay for that instead. I am not afraid of my feelings- this is obvious because I am voicing them right now. What I am afraid of however, is getting into my Anthropology exam, staring at the essay question and thinking “I have no clue how to answer this, but at least I know how to breathe”.

0 comments: