CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 23, 2008

That's a bit harsh...

This blog deals with the issue of xenophobia amongst first years at Rhodes. I know that xenophobia is a serious and often very touchy subject, however, I do feel that you have placed a lot of unfair blame on Rhodes first years. Firstly, you overtly say that the majority of first years are ignorant and that the majority have this xenophobic outlook. Have you spoken to this "majority"? I can honestly say that I have encountered very few (if any) real xenophobic incidents and I feel as though you paint a very harsh and cruel picture of the "majority" of first years. I have many friends who are Zimbabwean, but they feel as though they would much rather be here at Rhodes than back home often and this point of view has not been included in your blog post. I am obviously not saying that there is no xenophobia at Rhodes, but there is no more of it here than homophobia, racism and sexism and my experience here at Rhodes has certainly not been one where I have been exposed to many incidents of any of these. My main problem with this article is you generalisation and the way in which you stereotype "the majority". Maybe it is the group of people you associate yourself with that behave in this sort of manner. If you broaden your scope, you will find many individuals who are not xenophobic and you may also find that "the majority" is not as ignorant as you make them out to be.

0 comments: