CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Letter to my younger self...


Hello Meg,

I chose to write to you because I know, that at this moment, you are frantically trying to cram all those notes in your head for finals and practice equations like mad for Maths. I know that you see next year at Rhodes as an escape from all of this and that you hold onto it as a reward for your hard work. I would however, like to let you in on a little secret that, had I known, would have made my life so much easier: very few relationships at university are made to last forever.

Yes, I know you’ve been with him for a while and yes, I know he’s spoon fed you words about how you are going to start a life together at Rhodes, but it is a lot harder than you think. Rhodes is a small place and you’ll see him everyday (you’re probably thinking “that’s great!”) but this puts such a strain on a relationship. I want you to know that you don’t have to be so serious at such a young age. The more serious you are, the harder you’ll be crushed when it ends.

First year is difficult- managing much more work than Matric, trying to survive on limited money and trying to maintain an intense relationship is a lot harder than people think. I want you to enjoy university and not feel as though you have to devote your years to him. Boys will fade, so build a stronger relationship with your girlfriends because, when he breaks your heart, they’ll be the ones making you coffee in your room and consoling you. You owe it to them to be the best friend you can be.

Good luck with exams and have a great time at Rhodes next year. I know you will because I have!

Yours always,
Meg

0 comments: